Should you pay for damages to rented flat in UAE?

Know your legal rights in the UAE.



I had rented a two-bedroom flat in Sharjah for an annual rent of Dh49,000. After two years, I submitted the keys to the landlord on June 8, 2017, before my contract got over on June 9. After five days, the landlord's representatives checked the flat and charged me Dh1,800 for broken locks, a poster on the wall and a dirty kitchen. When I went to their office, they asked me for the amount. I asked them if they could reduce the fine, for which they gave me the option to clean and fix it by myself. I accepted, made the necessary arrangements and went to their office again. They told me their manager would check the flat again and call me. After not receiving calls from them, I went to their office again, after which I was told that I would be charged Dh900 for the poster on the wall. I had the poster removed, yet they insisted that I had to pay Dh300 as a maintenance charge. I agreed to pay this amount, but now they are asking for 20 days' rent.

I kept negotiating with them, but the 'rent amount' is increasing as the days go by. They are insisting that I pay the rent in full. They say they will issue the clearance letter only after I pay the rent. Now, the municipality will also fine me and my electricity bill is also increasing. Please advise.

Pursuant to your queries, it should be noted the tenant should hand over the rented premises in the same condition the landlord handed it to the tenant. However, if the flat is damaged due to reasonable wear and tear, then the tenant is not held responsible. With reference to the contents of your query, we understand the damages causes are not due to reasonable wear and tear. The landlord is asking you to pay for the charges to rectify the damages. You have rectified damages in the premises as well as paid Dh300. We assume that there is documentary evidence related to payments made to the landlord and further, we assume that you served reasonable notice to the landlord regarding vacating the premises as per the tenancy contract. Therefore, if you have fulfilled all your obligations as a tenant to the landlord and the same are mentioned in writing, then you may approach the 'Rent Committee' at the Sharjah Municipality and file a complaint against the landlord for settlement of this matter.

KNOW THE LAW

If you have fulfilled all your obligations as a tenant to the landlord and the same are mentioned in writing, then you may approach the 'Rent Committee' at the Sharjah Municipality and file a complaint against the landlord for settlement of this matter.

Ashish Mehta is the founder and Managing Partner of Ashish Mehta & Associates. He is qualified to practise law in Dubai, the United Kingdom, Singapore and India. Full details of his firm on: www.amalawyers.com.

Readers may e-mail their questions to: news@khaleejtimes.com or send them to Legal View, Khaleej Times, PO Box 11243, Dubai.
Share:

0 comments:

Featured Post

UAE starts issuing permanent residency 'Golden Card

The new initiative has identified the first 6,800 qualified expats from over 70 countries. The UAE has started issuing the perm...

Popular Posts